Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Why are parents so stubborn?

Why are parents so stubborn at times?

Yesterday my Dad had an appointment with a Cardiovascular Surgeon; because he believes/feels that something is still very wrong, and since his blood pressure is still on the rise, we thought so to.

Friday he went to his cardiologist because the past two weeks, he has been having pressure/chest pains, and thought it was his heart. Dr. Horn again told him that it wasn't his heart, it is his kidneys, so he then referred him to Dr. Lamb.

Now, I wasn't at the appointment yesterday, but I did hear that this upfront, no bull-shitting, little Vietnamese guy walked in with cowboy boots on under his scrubs, (I can only imagine) and basically told my Dad that if anything was going to be done about his problem, it had to be NOW! That is how serious his condition is. He basically told him, that between the two kidneys, they were only working at 25% (together, mind you!). So, they went ahead and did a sonogram, then finally a cat scan.

Now all we can do it wait. He has to check in to Presby Dallas Wednesday at 4:00 PM to have the angioplasty done on his kidneys. Now remember back when this all first started, they didn't want to do that because the dye causes damage, well this is the test. But this is the only way we are going to find out what is going on. So, when he gets in on Wednesday, they are immediately going to start pumping him full of water, salt water and any other kind of hydrating they can do. If they do this, it will help the dye get out of his system faster. So, then Thursday they will do the test and hopefully we can find out what's going on.

Now in doing this test, it won't correct the damage that has been done, but hopefully we can conquer the blood pressure, chest pains/pressure and get things going smoothly. Now, the doctor didn't go into detail, but did say that doing this, there are some major risks. OK? But he then also said that if we didn't do this now, we would lose complete function of his kidneys in probably 6 months or less.

So, basically in Leslie terms, this means that they are going to do this test. . .possibly do more damage to where his kidneys will work less. . .and might not give us any answers! How do you respond to that?
Well, Leslie, Ph.D. started looking up information on transplants. My Dad gave me life, the best I can do is try to help him keep his! Now here is where the stubborn part comes in. . .He told me that he wouldn't take my kidney! Why? Because he is stubborn! Now I see where I get it!

So, my goal: If he needs a transplant, and I am a match, He WILL take my organ. If it will keep him around for the boy's first t-ball games, first cars, first girlfriends, graduations from high school and college, and weddings; I will fight him to the end!

No comments: